Wednesday 29 June 2016

Music Video Production


Music Video

It took me a while to think of an idea for my music video. I originally planned to do a music video to a song by Twenty One Pilots. It was called 'Stressed Out'. I made a storyboard and I had it all planned out but the plan fell through at last minute so I had to think of a different plan and quickly. The new song I chose was 'Pity Party' by Melanie Martinez. This song is set around this character that Melanie had created based off past life experiences and the character is called 'Cry Baby'. The song is about how nobody turned up to 'Cry Baby's' birthday party and her crush didn't turn up either. This makes her angry and want to destroy everything.

Research-
When researching about Melanie I've realised that she has a theme of having weird/quirky videos that are very rare to find and she is a big fan of classical things like toys and clothes. She also loves pastel colours too. When I was making this video I know that I had to stick with the quirkiness that Melanie likes so then her fans would enjoy the video too. I also made sure I stuck with her style as well.

Pre Production-
In the pre production I did a small, quick storyboard so then I didn't get confused when filming and so then I knew what kind of shots I was going to take. I also had to make sure what props I needed to buy.
I needed:
  • Banners
  • A cake
  • Silly string
  • Donuts
  • Party poppers
  • balloons
  • knife
I also needed to find an actress to be in the music video so I used my cousin Gabriella. I used a younger actress because 'Cry Baby' seems to fit a younger persons feelings and the way they act. Also from watching other videos that Melanie has created I have noticed that she doesn't really use any older actors/actresses so I thought Gabriella would be perfect for the role. I decided that in the video Gabriella was going to be getting ready and setting up a party but when she notices that no one is coming she freaks out, goes crazy and gets angry. All of this is going to be shot in my house because it was very last minute and I couldn't find or think of anywhere else to film. Plus it fit the video well because the character was having a house birthday party so why not have it in my house.

Production-
The night before I made sure I had everything ready. I made sure the battery's where charged for my camera (Canon EOS 750D), the props where ready, that the dress Gabriella was going to put on was ready and that the settings on the camera where all correct.

I got up around 9am so then I could start filming. I started this early because I wasn't 100% sure what time I would be finishing so I needed to make sure that I would be able to shoot everything before I lose the natural day light because I had no lights or anything for when I was filming. I filmed the knife scene last because if she injured herself we wouldn't have been able to continue filming so I made sure I filmed that last just in case something bad was to happen (nothing did). In some of the shots you can see her throwing things like party poppers and balloons so when we shot this she had o make sure she didn't hit the camera other wise she could damage it. So when she was throwing everything I was telling her to aim just past my body or just over my head this way it still gives the illusion that she is aiming to hurt someone/something and you feel more involved with the video.

Post production-
When I finished filming I uploaded everything to premier pro. In some parts of the editing I noticed that I kept struggling because I needed to do some quick cuts so then the music video will go to the beat and it will keep the audience' attention. Also when I was putting some of the clips together the lip syncing didn't match the song so I had to put different content in the lip syncing place. Eventually I finished editing and I exported the video in media to Vimeo 1080p because I noticed that the file size was originally too big for Vimeo.

Final Product-
Overall I noticed that I need to have better time management and I need to make sure that I have a back up plan just in case the first plan goes wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment